Over the years, Escondido remains a favorite tourist destination for people from around the world, and this gives residents ample opportunity to showcase local attractions, whether heading to a Safari park or going for a wine tasting in vast vineyards and wineries. And the most common mode of transport to bring people en masse from one spot to another are buses. It is by far the most convenient to ferry people around the city and neighboring areas. However, like any other type of vehicle, buses are not immune to road accidents.
When severe bus accidents happen, those involved risk serious injury. In addition to the physical pain of injury, many victims and their families struggle financially because of missing work. At the same time, they continue to rack up medical bills. Victims of bus accidents should not have to shoulder the financial burden resulting from the accident that is caused by another party’s negligence.
If you obtained injuries from a bus accident as an Escondido resident (or as a visitor), the local law permits you to seek damages in civil court from those who caused your injuries. The dedicated Escondido bus accident lawyers at Marino & Tye LLP are here to fight to secure compensation for the full cost of your injuries.
Call 1-760-741-7643 for a free consultation to learn how we can assist you in taking the right course of action about the accident.
Marino & Tye LLP Accident Injury Lawyers’ Results in Bus Accident Cases
The award-winning lawyers at Marino & Tye LLP have the extensive experience necessary to negotiate, settle, and litigate personal injury cases, including those involving bus accidents. Our passionate dedication to professional excellence and client welfare advocacy has resulted in the recovery of millions of dollars in judgments and verdicts for our clients. While none of our past resolved cases can guarantee an outcome for your case, you can rest assured that our committed and diligent attorneys at Marino & Tye LLP will aggressively pursue the best results for your case.
Liability in Escondido Bus Accidents
Like many others, you might assume the bus driver is always at fault when a bus accident happens, most especially if you are a passenger. However, this is not true all the time. Several other parties might be at fault or share liability from the accident, which makes it difficult for investigators and courts to determine fault in a bus accident. Your lawyer will guide you on which parties to name as a defendant in your lawsuit.
Here are the potential defendants:
- Bus driver – Driving while distracted, driving under the influence, and drowsy driving are all reasons an Escondido court might find a bus driver liable for damages. Bus drivers who deliberately violate traffic laws, such as speeding or follow other vehicles too closely, might also cause an accident.
- Owner – Several different parties might own a bus, including a city, a school district, and a private bus company. The law requires bus owners to hire licensed and qualified drivers – those who have undergone adequate training. Besides, owners must keep their buses in a safe condition. When bus owners fail to follow through on these duties, and it results in an accident and injury, a court might find the owners liable for damages.
- Bus mechanic – Those tasked with maintaining buses are legally obliged to conduct thorough bus inspections and preventative maintenance. It is to ensure that the bus is roadworthy. In several situations, bus owners or bus companies outsource their maintenance jobs to third-party companies. If the mechanics do not complete repairs as they should, and it leads to an accident, they and the company they work for can be liable for damages.
- Bus manufacturer – If bus manufacturers make and sell a defective bus, they might be liable for damages. It also includes bus part manufacturers whose defective part causes an accident and injury. Indeed, any party involved in the chain of distribution for a bus might be liable for a bus accident.
- Another driver – Those who share Escondido’s streets, roads, and highways with buses might be overworked, driving under the influence, speeding, or distracted. When these circumstances behind the wheel result in an accident, that driver might be liable for losses brought about by the accident and injury.
- Government entities – The State of California, counties, cities, and other municipalities can be liable for a bus accident. Issues like poorly maintained roads can cause vehicular accidents. It can include hazards, such as potholes, as well as fallen stop signs and malfunctioning stop-lights.
Seeking Compensation After An Escondido Bus Accident
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) estimates that more than 15,000 bus accidents occur across the country each year, resulting in injury. Numbers also show that, nationwide, public transit buses and school buses account for about a third of fatal crashes, with only 13 percent of city bus crashes resulting in a fatality.
If you have suffered injuries resulting from a bus accident, you may want to consider filing a lawsuit against at-fault parties. And if the court rules in your favor, you can receive the compensation you deserve through a settlement or verdict.
Some common recoverable damages include:
- Medical expenses, which include ambulance and emergency services, hospitalization, radiology, surgery, and medication
- Future medical expenses when a bus accident causes a severe injury requiring extensive recovery or causing a permanent disability requiring indefinite long-term treatment and care
- Rehabilitation expenses for treatment from specialists who help injured persons regain function
- Unrealized wages when an injury, hospitalization, and recovery requires a person to go on leave
- Future unrealized wages when a severe injury prevents a bus accident injury victim from returning to their job
- The costs for assistive devices, such as crutches, wheelchairs, walkers, and canes
- Non-economic damages, such as physical pain and suffering, mental anguish, loss of consortium with a spouse, and others which might apply to a specific situation
Getting Legal Help You Need After An Escondido Bus Accident
If you or your loved one has sustained injuries from a bus accident in Escondido, contact an expert bus accident attorney today. Work with an attorney who can guide you through the lawsuit process and fight so that you get compensation for the full cost of your injuries. The team of legal experts at Marino & Tye LLP can handle the details of your case, investigate the circumstances of your bus accident, and build a strong lawsuit versus the at-fault parties.
Contact Marino & Tye LLP today or call 1-760-741-7643 for a free consultation to learn about your rights and how we can help you take the right course of action after a bus accident.